Electrical wiring means doing some electrical installation by installing, repairing, altering, or removing anything for industrial, commercial, domestic purposes. You can do the job only by supervising also. Even for that, you need a licence. If you want to pursue your career in electrical wiring related work in NSW, then you are going to need an NSW electrical licence. It does not matter whether the job is residential, commercial, or industrial or how much it costs. You will need an NSW electrical licence before doing electrical wiring work.
Electrical services include air conditioning, smoke alarms, property maintenance, data & communications, industrial & automation, construction & design, CBUS control system, etc.
Electrical Licence in NSW
Electrical work is quite risky. It is considered illegal, even if you do it for your use. Getting an NSW electrical licence is not quite easy. You have to fulfil some requirements which can be confusing for new workers. A short brief of the whole process has been given to make things easier for you.
Apply for Electrical Licence NSW
- If you want to establish your career in this department, you need to hold a certificate named-” Certificate III in Electrotechnology Electrician.” Only then will you get an NSW electrical licence. Having the job done, it is customary to give a certificate to the person who ordered/ contacted to get the job done.
- A certificate proving Proficiency as an Electrician or an Electrical Mechanic from the Department of Education and Communities (DEC) or the Vocational Training Tribunal (VTT) will also be needed to get an electrical licence in NSW.
- According to NSW Fair Trading, to apply for an electrical licence NSW, you must understand residential, commercial, or industrial law. You must have at least 12 months of experience in this sector. To obtain an NSW electrical licence, you need to provide evidence in photos,
videos or documents that prove your experience. You can call for a practical test if the evidence is insufficient for authorities.
- You need to apply for an electrical licence NSW at your local Fair-Trading office for getting a licence. Within six weeks, you will get a reply to get updated information about an electrical licence in NSW.
NSW Electrical Contractor Licence
If you want to pursue your career in electrical wiring-related work in NSW, you will need an NSW electrical contractor licence. It does not matter whether the job is residential, commercial, or industrial or how much it costs. You will need an NSW electrical contractor licence before doing electrical wiring work.
- You must be at least 18 years old to get an electrical contractor licence NSW.
- You must be eligible as per the Authority and submit necessary insurance papers under the Home Building Compensation Fund.
- It would be best if you did not have any unreasonable complaints, penalties against you.
- Any liabilities under NSW Fair Trading or Administration Corporation will not be accepted.
According to contracts, the electrical Contractor Licence NSW lasts for one, three, or five years. It generally expires when the anniversary of the date of the issue comes. To get started with the application process, Agency sends a renewal notice six weeks before the expiry date. It is generally evaluated within 28 days.
- To get an electrical contractor licence for 1-year, the sole trader business bears $326.
- For 3-years, all types of business bear $650.
- For five years, all types of business bear $999.
- The processing fee for all types of business is $158.
Is it permissible to do any electrical work without having a licence?
Without an NSW electrical licence, you can’t do any electrical work. You need to get licenced by City and country AHJs. They can log in and check your licence if you are unfamiliar with them. According to Home Building Act 1989, you can get a fine of $22000 personally and $110000 as a company for doing electrical work without a licence.
NSW Electrical Licence Check
NSW licence number is seen on the right side of the card. According to law, all contractors must show their NSW electrical licence number on their visiting card, advertising, and stationary sectors. You can check their validity using licence name, licence number, plate, or suburb. By entering collected information, you can check their electrician licence NSW online.
Restricted Electrical Licence NSW
Restricted electrical work is a specific category of work that shows competence. To apply for a restricted electrical licence NSW, you need to submit an application apart from before apprentice. The Fee is also required to apply for an NSW restricted electrical licence. An NSW restricted electrical licence certifies that trained and capable workers are doing their job with electrical equipment in the workplace efficiently.
Electrical Licence Victoria
An electrical licence certifies that a worker can do all types of electrical work without anyone’s supervision. To get an Electrical Licence Victoria, some criteria need to be kept in mind.
- You have to complete the Licenced Electrician’s Assessment approved by Energy Safe Victoria (ESV) with four years of apprentice electrician.
- Certificate III in Electro-technology Systems Electrician will also be needed to get an electrical licence in Victoria.
- You have to get an Electrician (supervised) licence with at least twelve months of work experience or you can have qualifications and experience equivalent to these levels.
Electrical licence Victoria lasts till 5 years.
- To get electrical licence Victoria for 1-year (2021-2022), all types of business bear $407.83.
- To renew electrical licence Victoria for 1-year (2021-2022), all types of business bear $203.91.
- Qualified and capable electricians are called A- Grade electricians with an NSW electrical licence. They are insured service provider and are permitted to work unsupervised and have the Authority to sign off any electrical works on behalf of a Registered Electrical Contractor (REC).
- Keeping in mind the highest standard, A-Grade Electrician ensures electrical safety efficiently. People can rest assured that electrical systems are being safely handled by professional workers.
- Having completed the assigned work, A-Grade electrician provides a certificate named “Certificate of Electrical Safety.” Otherwise, fines or other actions can be charged against them.
Does a handyman need a licence in NSW?
Normally, handypersons don’t need any NSW electrical licences or certificates due to their job nature. This act doesn’t go with NSW. If residential work is valued at more than $5000 (including GST in labor and materials), then workers need a licence in NSW. Besides all these, a handyperson must have an NSW electrical licence that certifies that they are capable of doing electrical work.
Are Certified electricians and Licenced electricians the same?
No, a Certified electrician and a Licenced electrician are not the same.
- A certified electrician holding electrician licence NSW looks for more certificates to expand their business. They are a state-licenced electrician. They seek more certifications or pieces of training to work in specific industries. They obtain certificates on cable splicing, green energy, craft, solar PV, instrumentation, electrical safety compliance etc.
- Their electrician licence NSW makes them specialized in skills which have high demand in industries. This expands opportunities in the market, and they get high salaries.
- Sometimes certified electricians work as sub-contractors, contractors for different companies and enrich their knowledge and experience.
- Licenced electricians are holding an NSW electrical licence work in their respective state with various electrical equipment. They complete their state-approved licensing programs and exams and work professionally in their pre-defined form.
- There are four types of licenced electricians. They are- Industrial Electrician, Commercial Electrician, Residential Electrician, Electric Panel Builders.
Can NSW electricians work in the ACT?
Yes, they can if they hold an NSW electrical licence. ACT Environment and Planning Directorate under Mutual Recognition will certify this licence.
Is apprenticeship needed to become an electrician?
In Australia, you need to complete your apprenticeship to become an electrician. Requirements may vary from one sector to the other. Employers may require Year 10 or Year 12 qualifications.
Will online be sufficient to be trained as an electrician?
Technical and Further Education (TAFE) is generally better than overall university performance. It provides more training and is reputed for their hands-on skills training to get practical experience. You get to learn industry-related skills through internships or work placements.
TAFE provides some online courses that can be done from your own home in your free time. To obtain a successful career, TAFE delivers skills and knowledge on different subjects/Professions. It is 24/7 and can be enrolled at any time. Some electrotechnology online courses are –
- TAFE Statement in Re-Licensing for Electricians
- Certificate II in Electronics
- Certificate II in Electrotechnology (Career Start)
- Certificate III in Electrotechnology Electrician
What skills are needed to do domestic electrical work?
To be qualified in electrical work, some qualifications are needed. They are-
- Current Level 3 Award in the Requirements for Electrical Installations (17th Edition) and either
- Level 3 Award in the Initial Verification and Certification of Electrical Installations, or
- Level 3 Award in Approving Electrical Work in Dwellings in Compliance with Building Regulations.
Can a Victorian electrician work in NSW?
Yes. According to Automatic Mutual Recognition laws, electricians from QLD, Victoria, and the Australian Capital Territory can work in NSW without NSW electrical licence.
Do you need an electrician to change a light fitting?
No, you don’t need an electrician with an NSW electrical licence to change a light fitting. You can do it on your own. Changing a light fitting or replacing it with fuse wire can also be done independently. But if you need to install a new circuit or change your old, loose bulb, you need to call an electrician.
Do you need to be an electrician to run cable?
If you have a problem in your new home, it’s best to call a licenced electrician holding an NSW electrical licence. They work efficiently with various electrical equipment. Other than that, you can install low voltage garden light, replace a blown-out bulb, install a battery-operated smoke alarm or detector, etc.